What is THE BATTLEGROUNDS™?
THE BATTLEGROUNDS™ is the Midwest’s only permanent mud run obstacle course. In addition to being a premier course, THE BATTLEGROUNDS™ is a destination! So come out and make a day of it. Our course is spectator friendly with almost half of the obstacles within view. We offer music, activities, vendors and fun challenges throughout the festival site. Plus, there is a kids zone for the little ones, so bring out the family! (Ages 12 and under with guardian supervision) After conquering 5 miles and 30+ obstacles, you can utilize the shower facilities, stay for the party at THE BATTLEGROUNDS™, have a meal at Cedar Lake Cellars or sit by the lake and sip some wine (or beer!).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I register?
A: You can register online through our registration site. In addition, you can download our registration form and mail it in with your payment. Click here to Sign Up!
Q:What are the divisions?
A: We offer individual and team registrations. Awards will be issued to the top 3 teams and 3 individuals in each category. All waves are timed and you can qualify for an award no matter what wave you participate in.
Individual by Age
18-29 years old
30-49 years old
50-59 years old
60+ years old
18-29 years old
30-49 years old
50-59 years old
60+ years old
- 4-Person All Female Team
- 4-Person All Male Team
- 4-Person Co-Ed Team
Q: What is included in my registration?
- THE BATTLEGROUNDS™ Moisture Wicking T-Shirt
- THE BATTLEGROUNDS™ Finishers medal
- Music & Post-Party Activities – including access to Cedar Lake Cellars Winery
- Post-race snack and beverage (Yes, a free beer if you are 21 and older!)
- Race bib with timing chip
- Interactive Individualized online results – find photographs and videos of yourself!
- Mobile event updates to your friends and family letting them know where you are on the course
- Social Media race updates that can be posted to your Facebook and Twitter accounts including an Online Finishers Badge
- Pride in yourself for overcoming a challenge
Additional beer, clothing, merchandise and food items will be available for purchase on race day.
Q: When should I arrive and how do I get my race packet?
A: We recommend arriving an hour prior to your start time so you can park, check out tent city, check your bags at the cargo hold and get ready for your mission. You may pick up your race packet prior to the day of the race at our pre-registration event at Cedar Lake Cellars. You may also register and pick up your packet on the day of the race at the registration booth in the festival area. Prior to the start of the race, make sure you have your bib securely adhered to the front of your body, your colored wave bracelet is on your right arm and you line up at the starting line 15 minutes prior to your designated wave time.
Q: Can I get my race packet early?
A: A special packet pick up pre-party will be held prior to the event at Cedar Lake Cellars. Look for emails with details on dates and locations the week prior to the event.
Q: Do you have lockers for my belongings?
A: Bag Check is available to store personal belongings no larger than 2 ft x 2 ft. We highly recommend bringing a change of clothes and personal effects so you can shower off and enjoy music, food, wine and/or one of our microbrews at the adjacent Cedar Lake Cellars. Bags will be tagged with your bib number and checked with volunteer personnel. THE BATTLEGROUNDS™ is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Q: How can I win an award?
A: See above to see award categories. Participants are eligible for an award no matter what wave they participate in. Additional awards are available for all participants and include: “Best Costume” and “Best Glamouflage.”
Q: How are the waves structured?
A: Racers will start in waves. You may request a start time and we will try to accommodate the time you request, but waves are limited to 250 people. Waves will start every 30 minutes from 8 am to 11 am. Additional waves will be added as needed. Each wave wil be identified by a different colored bracelet. If space is available, you can move your start time to a later wave, but you cannot move to an earlier wave. We will do our best to accommodate your requested time but you will be contacted if changes are required.
Q: How do I get my finish time?
A: Timing will be done via a chip system built into your race bib. You MUST have your race bib on when you cross the start line and the finish line in order to receive a qualifying time. The competitive heat racers who do not complete or bypass an obstacle will have their bib number recorded and will be ineligible to win an award. Race times will be posted online through our website and on-site the day of the race.
Teams: All members of a team must finish together. Each individual on a team will receive a timing chip, however, the person with the slowest time will be the official time of the team.
Q: Is this race physically challenging?
A: Obstacles are military themed and will require physical fitness. Obstacles will include running, jumping, crawling, splashing, swinging, climbing 25 feet in the air & traversing varying terrains, including a creek. You will get muddy! It will be physically demanding. Are you up for the challenge? Water obstacles include depths up to 12 ft — lifeguards will be on-site. If you cannot swim please go around the obstacle.
Q: Are there rules to participating in the event?
A: The premise is simple. . .”Be all that you can be!” For some, that means winning! For others, that means “No man left behind,” camaraderie, or overcoming personal challenges. Regardless of your reason for taking on THE BATTLEGROUNDS™ there are a few rules you HAVE to abide by (mainly because our lawyers said so)!
- You MUST sign a waiver and be at least 18 years of age
- You MUST listen to all staff/volunteers and follow verbal and posted safety regulations
- In order to be timed and qualify for an award, you must complete the marked course in its entirety without skipping any obstacles
- Unsportsmanlike conduct will disqualify you and could result in dismissal from THE BATTLEGROUNDS™
- There are NO refunds (unless you are active duty military and can provide documentation of required deployment)
Q: What should I wear?
A: Wear pretty much whatever you want, but know a few things: You need to have an area on the front of your body with enough fabric to securely fasten a bib, because that is your timing chip. It must be on the FRONT of you. There will be families here so keep it tasteful. You will be going over, under and through obstacles, please don’t wear anything that will interfere with your safety or the safety of another participant. You will be running on uneven terrain. Wear proper footwear! IN ORDER TO BE TIMED YOU MUST HAVE YOUR BIB ON THE FRONT OF YOUR BODY WHEN YOU CROSS THE START AND FINISH LINE!
Q: Is there lodging near the course?
A: Indeed! We have a special rate through the Hilton Garden Inn St. Louis/O’Fallon and can be accessed online by clicking the link or calling 636-265-1564. Additional lodging is below:
- Residence Inn Marriott O’Fallon – www.Marriott.com, 636-300-3535
- Holiday Express, Warrenton – www.hiexpress.com/warrentonmo, 636-456-2220
- Holiday Inn Express, O’Fallon - www.hiexpress.com, 877-654-0232
- Best Western West 70 Inn, Foristell - Bestwesternwest70inn@centurytel.net, 636-673-290
- Innsbrook Chalets -Sarah.firstname.lastname@example.org, 314-753-3552
- Staybridge Suites, O’Fallon, 877-859-5095
- Knights Inn, Wentzville, 636-327-5515
- Motel 6, Wentzville, 636-327-7001
- Comfort Inn & Suites, O’Fallon, 636-696-8000